- 1 大分市－県庁所在地であり、大分県の諸地域への交通の要所でもある。また、妙高町を中心とした豊富なバーやクラブもある。この地域は、地元で有名な麦焼酎を飲むのにも良い場所であり、フレンドリーな地元の人々に会う絶好の機会でもある。
- 2 別府市 is the gaudy and glitzy, hot springs capital of Japan. In contrast the secret mountain onsens of Myoban offer a blissfully serene escape in a spectacular setting. Amongst the plentiful onsens is a somewhat appropriate Sex Museum. Close by is the excellent Umi Tamago aquarium displaying everything from Walrus, local fish species to basketball playing sea otters! Next door is the Takasakiyama monkey park. Also close to Beppu is one of the only Safari Parks in Japan. Finish your Beppu experience in a 1950s dance club....
- 3 由布市 is the antidote to Beppu, a hip, and stylish onsen hot spot. This is a good place to go shopping for local crafts as well. Close by is the scenic Mount Yufu (由布岳 Yufudake) that offers great hiking and even better views. In between Yufuin and Beppu is the quaint traditional onsen resort town of Yunohira. Set amonst thickly forested mountains this is a great place to escape the crowds and experience rural Japan.
- 4 日田市 is a small city in the west featuring onsens, festivals and the Sapporo Beer Factory. The Gion area of Hita is described as the mini Kyoto of Kyushu.
- 5 佐伯市 Small fishing city in the South of the Prefecture. Beautiful sunsets and exceptional restaurants with the freshest seafood and best sashimi. Some of the nicer beaches in Japan are close by.
- 6 宇佐市 The expansive Usa Shrine complex is a great place to relax, unwind and take in the shrine's 1000-year history. After some contemplation head to Ajimu for a free taste of the local wine and for a round of put put golf.
- 7 豊後高田市 The stunning Fuki ji is the oldest wooden structure in Kyushu and one of the oldest in Japan and well worth a look. Close by Taizoji with its famously uneven steps. This city has good access to the Kunisaki Peninsula with its famous Buddhist carvings.
- 8 豊後大野市 Half-way between Aso San and Oita City there are numerous waterfalls, beautiful river swimming pools and extensive limestone caves to explore.
- 9 臼杵市 A beautiful coastal castle town that is famous for its Edo era houses, and the numerous ancient stone Buddhas carved into rockfaces 4 km from the city centre.